MechWarrior Online score:
MechWarrior Online screenshots:
MechWarrior Online review:
The game is a free-to-play, tactical action simulation game set in the Battle Tech universe in 3050 AD. In MechWarrior Online players take over the role of a battlemech pilot who are in command of powerful mechanical battle units that they may customize in a variety of ways to finally lead them into battle on first-person, team-based, tactical battlefields.
- Futuristic, tactical FPS action
- Several game modes & varied maps
- Huge variety of fully customizable BattleMechs
- Focus on co-op gameplay
- 6 factions to align with
- Stunning visuals based on CryEngine 3 technology
- Fight for territory control in a persistent world
- Completely free-to-play
A BattleMech is a heavily armoured combat platform that utilises an internal structure similar to a skeleton, along with actuators (joints), and myomers (muscles). When combined, the BattleMech takes the form of a giant, bipedal, rough humanoid able to operate in all types of atmospheres including under water and zero-gravity. BattleMechs have various weapon systems, including ballistic (autocannons, machine guns, Gauss), missile (long range missiles, short range missiles, streak short range missiles), energy (lasers/flamers/particle projectiles), and a variety of electronic monitoring/targeting systems. In conjunction with all of this, they utilise a series of heat sinks to help dissipate the large amounts of heat all of these weapons and electronics generate. Typically weighing between 20 and 100 tons, they fall into one of four classes: light, medium, heavy and assault.
The interface between the pilot (MechWarrior) and their BattleMech is the neurohelmet, which connects them in a highly agile and direct drive approach.
The game allows players to customize their BattleMech loadouts and visual representations with the so-called MechLab. Players can upgrade and swap out their mech’s weapons, armour, jump jets, engine, ECM equipment, heat sink and modules using C-Bills that are earned while playing, to fully adjust the BattleMechs to the player play style. In addition, players can place decals, paint jobs and other cosmetics items on their BattleMechs.
The game features the following two game modes:
- Conquest - In this mode, players vie for the control over Germanium resource collectors. Germanium is a very rare element used in Jump Ships that travel through the InnerSphere. There are five resource collectors on each map, an already captured one in each team’s start location while the three remaining are spread evenly throughout the rest of the map. The objective is to gather a certain amount of Geranium and/ or to destroy all enemy mechs in order to win.
- Assault - In Assault, two teams of eight players each compete against each other in a Team-Deathmatch setting with an added base capture/ defending challenge.
The warfare in MechWarrior Online can be broken down into four pillars:
- Role warfare - There are 4 basic types of gameplay roles: Assault (for the tactical forward units whose primary role is to seek and destroy), Defence (holding the ground gained by the offensive forces and protecting those in need), Scouting (gathering information as a reconnaissance/stealth unit), and Command (two different levels: lance commanders that are in charge of up to 3 other players and assist in coordinated attacks on key targets and company commanders which utilizes the 2 other lance commanders and all information being relayed back to him to make global calls on the battlefield).
- Mech warfare - Players will engage in multiplayer battles using their BattleMechs. They will have to be aware of every single component as well as of the limits of their mechs to be able to defeat their opponents.
- Information warfare - Information warfare involves knowing where the enemy is, knowing the enemy’s current status, understanding the enemy’s intentions, and sharing information between units.
- Community warfare - The game’s factions fight for territory and resources on faction worlds (planets) while mercenary corporations can bid and fight for occupation rights of border worlds. Lone wolves also participate in these battle in behave of one faction/ corporation or another.
In Mechwarrior Online players can be active or passive participants in MechWarrior Online by following one of three paths: They may decide to pledge allegiance to a faction, join a mercenary corporation or remain neutral (lone wolf).
There are various factions in the Battle Tech universe that consist of political, corporate, quasi-religious, and secular interests ranging from interstellar dynasties to industry conglomerates. Each faction is warring with at least one other faction at all times in a universal territory battle.
- OS: Windows Vista (32 bit)
- CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz or Athlon II X2 245e
- RAM: 4 GB
- Graphics card: GeForce 8800GT or Radeon HD 5600/5700
- HDD: 4 GB of free space
- DirectX: DirectX 9.0
- OS: Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit)
- CPU: Core i3-2500 or AMD Athlon II X4 650 or better
- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics card: GeForce GTX 285 or Radeon HD 5830
- HDD: 4 GB of free space
- DirectX: DirectX 9.0
Website: MechWarrior Online
Looking for more Free MMOFPS,Free MMOs games?
MechWarrior Online game